Instagram

Sun protection- Hopeful this helps answer some common questions

I get asked questions about sun protection at least twice a week. If you read over my previous sharing about my skin story you can see how my story is complicated. Often I share of sunscreen and why it is important. Many times we read vitamin D and its safety and necessity. I have struggled with this myself since personally battling vitamin D deficiency. I also am surviving the worst and most deadly skin cancer diagnosis, there is a fine line for what is safe for me. Openly I have shared my story, which is not yours. Nonetheless, I want to inform and help if anyone needs it. So I humbly share as informative. If you ever wanted to talk, I would LOVE to sit down with you. Jwdennstaedt@gmail.com

Skin care has always been something I have been passionate about, dealing with sensitive and eczema, chronic hives and now stage 3 Melanoma the worst and most deadly form a skin cancer.

Since my melanoma diagnosis 3 and a half years ago my passion and knowledge of skin care and sun protection has exploded. I have spent hours and hours learning, researching, asking questions, and forming my own knowledge and support for what is best.

It's a journey we are all on.
I am dedicated to learning more about sun safety.
Everyone has to start somewhere.
It is my goal in the few short paragraphs to educate, give resources, and point you in a direction you can start exploring more for yourself.

Where do I start when it comes to sunscreen?

Chemical block vs physical block: Chemical blocking sunscreens may contain many harmful chemicals. Chemical sunscreens protect skin by absorbing the sun’s rays. They do this by seeping into your skin. This is why chemical sunscreens apply smoothly, without leaving a thick film and include active ingredients such as oxybenzone.Physical sunscreen use minerals zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as active ingredients, which sit on top of the skin and physically block the sun’s rays. They work immediately and do not seep into the skin. Zinc oxide is protective against both UVA and UVB rays, unlike most chemical sunscreens, which are only effective against one or the other. Zinc oxide is the sole sunscreen-active ingredient that’s FDA approved for use on infants.
https://www.greenchildmagazine.com/everything-about-choosing-safe-sunscreen/

"Zinc oxide is one of only 17 active ingredients currently approved by the FDA for use in sunscreens. Upon application, zinc oxide particles sit on the outermost layer of your skin, the stratum corneum, where they scatter, absorb, and reflect ultraviolet radiation, protecting your living skin below. Zinc oxide is unique among sunscreen ingredients in that it is truly a broad-spectrum blocker, protecting from UVA, UVB, and even UVC. Titanium dioxide is another mineral active ingredient you may see in other brands' sunscreens. While it protects from UVB rays very well it does not protect from UVA as well as zinc oxide does."https://www.badgerbalm.com/s-33-zinc-oxide-nanoparticles-clear-zinc-sunscreens.aspx
Why Zinc?

https://draxe.com/zinc-oxide-benefits/

If you are using a sun protection that does not contain zinc but instead a list of 20 things you cannot pronounce put it back on the shelf and keep searching. There is one out there. Look for mineral compounds in your sunscreen.

What amount of sun is ok?

This is such a hard question for me to answer. After all, I am a survivor of stage 3 melanoma, the worst and most deadly form of skin cancer with an astronomical change of return or another melanoma. At the same time I have some other skin sensitivities that are healed and treated with benefits of vitamin d. I do know that no matter what you read or what any doctor tells you, you know your body best. And I know with certainty that the sun can be deadly, because I've lived through it. The likely hood that the sun, tanning beds, and lack of sun screen applied had something to do with my diagnosis is high. There were also so many other factors, the perfect storm I call it. Regardless you need to know the facts. In my research and learning not many of the survivors walking through melanoma or other skin cancer survivorship are the ones promoting any length of sun. Again, my story is not yours. Protect the skin you're in.

http://www.americanskin.org/resource/safety.php

https://www.aimatmelanoma.org/prevention/protecting-your-skin-2/

Benefits of Sun Protection, Risks of Sun Exposure
"In contrast, there is overwhelming evidence for the multiple benefits of sun protection. Controlled studies have shown that regular use of an SPF 15 or higher broad-spectrum sunscreen reduces your chances of developing squamous cell carcinoma by about 40 percent, melanoma by 50 percent and premature skin aging by 24 percent.
It has been proven on the molecular level that the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) light damages the skin’s cellular DNA, creating genetic mutations that can lead to skin cancer. Both the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the World Health Organization have identified solar UV as a proven human carcinogen, with studies linking it to about 90 percent of non melanoma skin cancers and about 86 percent of melanomas, as well as premature skin aging. In addition, UV radiation harms the eyes and can cause cataracts, eyelid cancers and other ocular skin cancers, including melanomas.


In short, unprotected sun exposure puts you at risk for any number of conditions that can permanently damage your skin, disfigure you, sometimes even kill you. And the regular use of sun protection can go a long way to keep any of that from happening." https://www.skincancer.org/healthy-lifestyle/vitamin-d/damage

Tell me about sunscreen?


The Environmental Working Group says 56% of beach and sport sunscreens contain the chemical oxybenzone. The Environmental Working Group and other toxicology experts believe that oxybenzone is linked to hormone disruption and potentially to cell damage that may lead to skin cancer.
It's easy to get overwhelmed with the sunscreen options on store shelves.
Here's a quick guide to find the best products to protect your family from the sun:
--Use a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15 and a maximum of SPF 50;
--Make sure labels list UVA and UVB (or broad spectrum protection);
--Avoid products containing oxybenzone and retinyl palminate
--Choose lotions versus spray sunscreens for a more evenly distributed protection.
--Find a mineral compound containing sunscreen vs chemical compound containing sunscreen

"In 2011, the Food and Drug Administration set new sunscreen rules that removed some of the most egregious false marketing claims, like “waterproof” and “sweatproof,” from product labels. But the FDA allowed most sunscreens to claim that they play a role in preventing skin cancer. There is little scientific evidence to suggest that sunscreen alone reduces cancer risk, particularly for melanoma, the deadliest type of skin cancer. Despite a growing awareness of the dangers of exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, and a multi-billion dollar sunscreen industry, melanoma rates have tripled over the past three decades."

Joanna, What sunscreen do you use?

COVER UP.
Since my diagnosis I have had to change my whole life. Not only am I at a much higher rate to have another primary melanoma (your statistics drastically increase when you have had one) but I also have several very large scars from the removal of skin cancer cells on my skin and in my lymphatic system. I will not put any chemicals on my scars or the skin of my leg that is more susceptible for skin cancer. Most of you do not have this to think about, but maybe more of you should be more cautious. What it took for me to change, you do not want.

Here are some of my most favorite sun protection products, click on the name to link you to their site.
JUICE BEATY
DRUNK ELEPHANT
ALL GOOD
BEAUTY COUNTER
COOLA

Read more yourself about sunscreen and sun safety!

https://phx-cdn.beautycounter.com/DocumentLibrary/Images/CountersunProductTrainingPackage.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2010-116/

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2018-04-20/hawaii-bill-will-ban-sunscreens-that-harm-reefs

http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chem-of-concern/

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/23/health/sunscreen-consumer-guidelines/index.html

https://www.aad.org/public/spot-skin-cancer/programs/skin-cancer-awareness-month

https://draxe.com/best-sunscreens/






Comments

  1. Amazing post, would you mind checking mine? haute her girl hope you will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts