Instagram

Podcast: Parent Family Solutions



I often share my cancer story and although that encompasses a huge part of who I am today there was 34 years lived before this chapter. Reconnecting with friends that were part of my life before our trauma is healing for me because I see glimpses of what God was doing then and preparing me for now.

I originally didn't reconnect with JD because of Radiant Hope, what he was doing or what I was doing, but we connected because of cancer. After a long heroic battle, his brother was taken by cancer, and with empathy and broken hearts we shared our experiences with this disease together which led to conversations of how to share ways to support those going through what our families had.

John Dennis was a collage friend and he opened up about how he remembers who I was back in that day. It's refreshing to know my personality wasn't changed by trauma, nor were my gifts. Much is different, my heart has changed, and my perspective, but I'm still so much the same Joanna I was 20 years ago. That reminder is so good when we feel like we have been lost in the mess of life.

Who am I?
Who was I?

Last year I took a 9 month leadership intensive class with 19 others in my church led by the staff. At the very first weekend away we were asked to take the DISC personality test. I broke down to Kev the night before. I was terrified taking the test again might reveal someone I didn't know. I had heard so many people talk about BC (before cancer) and AC (after cancer) and I was and am constantly living that balance.
Might the test tell me that I am someone other than the Joanna I was and know? And if so, what would I do with that?

"But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3

The reassuring news is that I am a work in progress. Still learning, still changing. I am so much more content knowing my weakness and imperfections allow room for constant work.  My personality has not changed but my life has. I felt a sigh of relief, strange I know. I have seen that the God who made me and loves me, designed me with purpose. He doesn't change, nor his plan, even when our circumstances do.

Here in this podcast with my good friend JD, I get to share about my ministry, and my life. I offer up advice on community support and where to find it. I share personal stories of the ways my community stepped into our lives and supported us. I also got to open up about our purpose with Radiant Hope and our ultimate goal in meeting those impacted by cancer and walking along side of those in the midst of great life struggles.

This vulnerable sharing is always going to be about him and not about me. All of the events of my life, and what my family walked in, we believe is to be shared so that others may be encouraged. I hope this strikes a passion in you to do one small thing for a neighbor or friend in the months coming. Please connect with me at Radiant Hope { https://www.hisradianthope.org }as we try to bridge a gap of hopelessness and finding HOPE.  Cancer is so unique. I read about it everyday. Either the wide range of complicated things it brings, how to find hope and healing amidst it, how you face cancer and face death, how it changes families and communities, or just how all encompassing and life changing it is.

There is HOPE in your story friends. Share it. You will find that what you have walked in someone else can be changed from. What you're in the middle of seems impossible, I know. But the beauty, redemption, and restoration that comes from ashes is a more abundant flourishing forest than what was extinguished. Trust.

Comments

Popular Posts