Instagram

Always up for a challenge, the first of many

I have shared some of this story before: The summer before my diagnosis our sweet Lizz would live with us. She was getting married at the end of august and her hub to me and Kev were great friends and work partners. We loved having her. She was busy the weeks leading up to her wedding, but we would catch up here there there.

All the kids were to be in the wedding, Kev was going to stand beside her hub and I was going to stand beside her. We would do this to show support for them and a commitment to follow them and encourage them in their journey together through marriage. It was then a few weeks before the wedding that the phone call came. I do remember crying with her and telling her what was coming. I also remember sitting in the doctors appointment scheduling surgery with my surgical oncologist where I knew exactly what she was going to say. The day or your surgery is.... This is the first available spot and we need to get the cancer out ASAP. We had waited months for this wedding, the kids were overly excited, so were we. And then it came. The first thing trying to steal joy. My surgery would be the day before the wedding. I was out. I had no choice. I remember coming home and telling Lizz that I knew this was going to happen. I knew before she even said it. She only operated on Fridays and and this day would be the one.

This was just the first challenge of many that we faced. Where God was gracious to us. Kev was able to make the rehearsal that night and my mom was here to help me and the kids. The next day..., you guys, God is so so good. We, I, made it to that wedding. For me it was proving that we can overcome our circumstances and our pain when we let him take the wheel. It was more than just showing up for me, it was being able to proclaim God's provision and goodness.

It just so happened, I have told you about coincidence before,  that my surgeon because she knew about the wedding was able to use more nerve block than she normally would. Therefore it was going to take more than 24 hours for it to wear off. The wedding was about 36 hours after my surgery. I was on drugs but it wouldn't be until the next day that the block would wear and I would feel it more.

A good friend showed up and did the girls hair for the wedding while I laid right in my bed and watched. The girls were able to get ready and remain excited. That was a gift. I won't forget again how he sends us what we need when we need it. How he uses his people and their deep love to show up and serve one another.



I got to the wedding that day. I could not stand up there next to her or wear the long beautiful dress she picked out in fear or tripping over it. But I was in a few pictures and God was so good. My mom was there because they let her come help so that Kev could do his duties.  We spent a wonderful evening with amazing friends.  There was no way in my own strength or power that I would have arrived there. But everyone rallied because they knew that HOPE would win, and that Joy would not be stolen.

"For NOTHING is impossible with God." Luke 1:37

At that point the day after surgery we celebrated love, and were thankful. We had no idea what was coming for me. We had no clue the year ahead we were facing as a family. We also had no clue that Lizz would be the one to give care to my kiddos for the long haul. God just puts people in your life, open up to see his purpose and his planning. He is so strategic, it's all for his good.



My Lizz has shared some of my story in this magazine she writes for. She also shares a story on Easter, and the rest of the publication is worth a read. The online version is found here.
Faith Glam and Coffee





Lizz blogs and it's beautiful and you can find that here: She has a story of Grace and redemption that can impact many.
http://www.everydayalivety.com

"You gain my perspective on your life, enabling your to distinguish between what is important and what is not. Rest in MY presence, receiving JOY that no one can take from you."  -Sarah Young in Jesus Calling

"So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice and no one (or nothing) will take away your joy."
John 16:22


Comments

Popular Posts