Instagram

Gifts



“There are different kinds of gifts. But it is the same Holy Spirit Who gives them. There are different kinds of work to be done for Him. But the work is for the same Lord.” 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 

I think Gifts is one of my love languages. I prefer giving more than receiving, it does something to me. We've all been given something meaningful at one time or many in our lives. There is just something about the thought, and the action that comes along with a gift. No matter how simple or complex the gift is, there is something going on behind each and every gift giving, that part of the story moves me. I also think there are so many avenues one can talk about when sharing about gifts. I am just sharing another way that Jesus walked with us through the hard, carried us every second of the way, and used others in his kingdom to show us this love...

There are gifts I have recieved in my lifetime that have stories behind them that I will never forget. One Christmas when i was in grade school I wanted to tape (on VHS) for my mom, White Christmas off the TV. So I had it all set up, and then it didn't tape. I was pretty bummed and started brainstorming what other thing I might get my mom. Meanwhile my brother found another showing on TV and taped it. He gave me the VHS and said he had taped it so I could gift it to my mom. I won't ever forget that gift. A gift to me too.

I carry around in my purse this bright pink, shiny, wallet from Walmart. I have for 3 years now. I will use it until I cannot possibly anymore. It was a gift from my Joyful for Christmas one year. She heard me asking Kev for a new wallet and when they were out shopping she wanted to pick one out for me for Christmas. I love it with my whole heart. It carries a story with it. That story is what I treasure about gifts...

I could go on and on. The things sometimes we cherish most were gifts. But they are just things.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19

So much of a gift emulates Christ. What he has done for us, how much he loves us, and how He gives and entrusts to us. He created each of us, different, and special, with gifts that only we have to use and give. We give because he gave first. I teach my kids to give because they were given to. I love to give, because it models Christ and how much He gave in his son to me.

I can't believe it's almost been a year. I have wanted to share this story publicly, but wasn't sure the best way. I haven't even shared it with many close friends. Maybe because I still feel unworthy. Maybe because it was over the top and I had a hard time letting go and letting God. Maybe because there were special ways God showed up in so many different friends and family, and strangers, and I never wanted to discount anyones generosity and the way it spoke into our lives. But again and again I remind myself it was never about me, but it is a story about a group of selfless, generous people... About this time last year I got a phone call from an old friend from College. (Again its just amazing how God is weaving people in and out of our lives at certain times for certain things to come to pass, for his glory to be shown. Look for it.) She told me about how at her workplace, a hospital ER, that every year they choose a family to bless. They do their Christmas. ALL of it. She told me that they wanted to bless our family. I tried to talk her out of it, said we would manage and be ok, and she simply replied, "It's too late, we have already chosen your family." She went on to organize a few things with Kevin, and I went on taking care of myself and fighting cancer. Inside I was ok really if we had the most simple and non gifted Christmas ever, because I want to fight that every year anyway. Instead God had other plans for us. I think If you asked any one of the hundred or so people who work in that ER, if they were blessed as much as we were they would say yes. Because like the best stories go, my children were taken care of, shopped for by complete strangers, and the way God made us in his image, by loving showing that love, happened here in this house last Christmas. And It will be a Christmas we will never forget.







This past week we were able to go and meet and thank several of the workers who made Christmas happen at our house in possibly one of the hardest years we will ever have. The kids and Kev and I brought cookies and were able to personally thank some beautiful people. It was pretty cool. What those people are doing is really cool, and its making an impact. How can it not?










Maybe my main point at sharing this part of our journey is to show the difference a gift can make. There are opportunities all over the place this time of year to go outside of ourselves and give. I tell this to friends and family over and over, that in giving a gift you are sometimes more blessed than the one receiving. Sometimes its a note, sometimes its giving Christmas to 4 little kids with a sick mommy, sometimes its someone across the globe getting a shoebox size gift of things that may be all they will ever receive. A gift can make a huge difference. It doesn't have to be an item at all. Some of the most special Gifts we received love the past year were not things, but time, and service of so many. So in all our gift giving and receiving this year, make each one tell a story. So that as we give, we not only give a material possession that will not last, but that we give the love of Christ and all that he has done for us with it.

 "As we exchange our gifts, let us remember that they are symbolic of the unspeakable gift of God’s love." Billy Graham


*After a poll on my blog here are some of the things people said that are great organizations to donate to: There are so many awesome organizations right here. I challenge you to pick one, maybe one you have never heard of. Read about it and be a part of it. YOU will be blessed through it. I am just blow away by the things people are out there doing to serve one another. Awesome stuff here. 
Samaritans Purse
World Vision
Monarch Jewelry
Angel Tree
Friends of Kids
Cure International
Forgotten Voices International
Hagar International
Radiant Hope
http://www.nhm-pa.org
Wheels of Hope
Hungry for Him
support for patients with colostomy bags
Serve India
Messiah college Aroma Missions
gospel for Asia
New Life for Girls
Gildasclub
no kid hungry
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Garage Youth Center
Philadelphia Project
Action for Empowerment
http://www.helpchildrenwithaids.org
Lifesong for orphans
Mercy Ships
Love 146
http://www.wavesforwater.org
http://www.footprintsoftheson.org
http://www.manyhopes.org
www.thrive4health.org
http://harrisburg.bridgeofhopeinc.org
Believe Big
Peace Promise



Comments

Popular Posts